Introduction to Linux II Chapter 9 Exam Answer 2016
1. Which of the following parameters is not referred by locale?
- Character classification
- Digital signatures
- Numeric representation
- Monetary symbols
2. For locally run programs, the locale information is provided by system variables.. True or False?
3. How is the locale set for web applications?
- Obtained from the web browser
- Obtained from the user’s environment variables
- Obtained from the user’s .profile
- Obtained from the web server
4. What is the format used for naming a locale definition file?
5. Which of the following is not seen in the output of the locale command?
6. Which command is used to list all available locales on the system?
- locale -l
- locale –A
- locale –a
7. Which of the following environment variables will set the user’s locale to French?
8. Which file is used to set the user’s locale permanently?
9. What is the behavior of setting C locale?
- Strings are displayed as written in the initial code
- Strings are always displayed in UTF-8
- Strings are displayed as per the user’s LANG setting
- Strings are translated and then displayed
10. Which environment variable is used to specify the directories for message translation catalogs?
11. Linux systems keep time in ____.
12. UTC is not subjected to daylight saving time.. True or False?
13. Which environment variable is used to find the time zone?
14. The /etc/localtime file is a flat file containing plain text that is used to configure the system wide time zone.. True or False?
15. Which file is used to indicate the current time zone on Red Hat systems?
16. Which utility is used to determine the TZ variable’s value?
17. Which command is used to verify time zone changes?
18. Which of the following is not a function of the date command?
- Displaying past dates
- Reading date patterns from a file
- Displaying Universal time
- Sorting files by date
19. Character encoding is the process of maintaining the mapping between the character and its ______ value.
20. Which command is used to find the current character mapping in Linux?
- locale -C
- locale –charmap
- locale -c
- locale charmap
21. Which characters are not supported by ASCII?
- Punctuation symbols
- Mathematical symbols
- Numbers 0 – 9
- English letters
22. ASCII is not a subset of UTF-8.. True or False?
23. Which of the following is NOT a capability of Unicode characters?
- Supports mathematical and technical symbols
- Can be used in file names
- User applications can display Unicode files
- Uses separate language packs for each language
24. What does UTF-8 mean?
- UCS Technology Format
- UCS Transfer Format
- UCS Transcoding Format
- UCS Transformation Format
25. UTF-8 is a fixed-width encoding scheme that can represent every character in the Unicode character set.. True or False?
26. How many bits character encoding is supported by ISO?
27. Which is the most commonly used character encoding for the Internet?
28. Which API is used for converting one character encoding to another?
29. Which can be used for converting an older ASCII encoded file to UTF-8 encoding?
30. The ______ mapping method is supported by Unicode.
- Universal Transformation Set (UTS)
- Universal Locale Set (ULS)
- Universal Formatting Set
- Universal Character Set (UCS)