Linux Essentials Final Comprehensive Exam Answer (Modules 1 – 16) 2016 (100%)
- 2 years ago
- 4341 Views
1. One of the jobs of the kernel is to:
- Manage the system’s resources
- Turn source code into machine code
- Load the operating system after the computer is turned on
- Transfer mail from one machine to another
2. Unix is:. (choose two)
- An operating system
- A type of hardware
- A trademark
- A distribution of Linux
- A text editor
3. Linux is written in:
4. Source code refers to:
- The version of a program that the computer runs on the CPU
- The license that dictates how you may use and share the software
- The interface that software uses to talk to the kernel
- A human readable version of computer software
5. What is the standard option to provide a command line program to view its documentation?
6. The command man -k is the same as the command apropos.. True or False?
7. The whatis command is the same as man -w.
8. The directory where additional documentation for software packages most likely can be found is:
9. Hidden files are files that begin with what character?
- A plus (+)
- A dash (-)
- A period (.)
- An asterisk (*)
10. What option for the ls command will display all files, including hidden files?
11. The top-level directory on a Linux system is represented as:
12. Is the following path absolute or relative?. /etc/ppp
13. Is the following path absolute or relative?. sysadmin/Documents
14. Compression on a file works by:
- Removing the high order bit from each byte
- Consolidating multiple files into one
- Removing redundant information
- Storing most of the data on removable media and just leaving a pointer
- Eliminating gaps within the file
15. In general, for which of the following would you want to use lossless compression?
- An mp3 audio file
- A movie
- A log file
- A JPEG image
- An encrypted email
16. Lossy compression:. (choose three)
- Is often used with documents
- Decompresses to an identical version as the original
- Sacrifices some quality
- Usually results better compression than lossless
- Is often used with images
17. You type gzip myfile.tar. What happens?. (choose two)
- myfile.tar.gz holds a compressed version of myfile.tar
- An error; you forgot to pass the name of the output file
- An error; you forgot to specify the file with –f
- myfile.tar is unarchived into the current directory
- myfile.tar is removed
18. Error messages generated by commands are sent where by default?
- Log files
19. A successful command will print output to STDOUT.. True or False?
20. Which of the following commands will direct error messages to the file, error.log?. (choose one)
- ls /root > error.log
- ls /root >> error.log
- ls /root 2> error.log
- ls /root $> error.log
21. A pipe allows you to…
- …send the same input to multiple commands.
- …send the output of one command to another.
- …send the output of a command to a file.
- …type multiple commands at one prompt.
22. Channel 2 is:
23. The echo command:
- Tests a variable for duplication
- Duplicates the input stream to the output stream
- Is used for variable assignment
- Is used to output text to the console
- Copies variables from one to another
24. A file begins with #!/bin/csh. This means:
- C Shell compatibility mode is enabled
- Running the script will invoke /bin/csh to interpret the rest of the file
- The operator should not be using /bin/csh
- This is a Perl script
- Nothing, this is a comment
25. Which are appropriate editors for writing shell scripts?. (choose two)
- LibreOffice Writer
26. Most of nano’s commands take the form of:
- Escape followed by another character
- Mouse clicks
- The F1 through F12 function keys
- Alt and another character
- Control and another character
27. What does this shell script do?. FOO=/tmp/foo. if [ ! –d $FOO ]; then. mkdir $FOO. fi
- Nothing, since there is a problem with the conditions in the if statement
- Makes the /tmp/foo directory if a file by that name exists
- Creates /tmp/foo if it does not exist
- Creates /tmp/foo and raises an error if there is a problem
- Outputs a message to the screen
28. Which of the following are valid CPU types for Intel-based platforms?. (choose two)
- 48 bit
- 24 bit
- 64 bit
- 32 bit
29. 64 bit platforms can access more memory than 32 bit platforms.. True or False?
30. What does the acronym RPM mean?
- Relocate Package Manager
- Return Package Management
- RPM Package Management
- Recursive Package Manager
31. One way to install new software on a Linux system is to use a package management system.. True or False?
32. When you execute the dmesg command, the system displays messages that are generated by the kernel.. True or False?
33. Which of the following are package management commands for distributions with software distributed in files ending in .deb?. (choose three)
34. Which of the following are package management commands for distributions with software distributed in files ending in .rpm?. (choose three)
35. Which of the following would be considered a host?
- A printer attached to the network via an IP address
- A CDROM
- The computer’s hard drive
- A network cable
36. A service is…
- …a file that contains configuration information.
- …another name for a computer’s hostname.
- …a feature provided by one computer to another.
- …like an IP address.
37. A network packet contains …. (choose two)
- …the IP address of the destination machine.
- …a hard drive partition.
- …the name of the router.
- …the IP address of the source machine.
38. Only servers have hostnames.. True or False?
39. Which files contain user account information?. (choose two)
40. Which user can view the /etc/shadow file?
- The root user
- No users
- Any member of the password group
- All users
41. Which command will display the UID, GID and groups your current user belongs to?
42. Each user belongs to at least one group.. True or False?
43. Which command will display the users that are currently logged in to the system?
44. UIDs 1-500 are usually reserved for what kind of users?
- Are not used for user accounts, but for group accounts
- System accounts, such as server processes
- Remote log-in accounts
- Log-in (human) users
45. If a user is deleted, the files and directories that the user owned…
- …are deleted as well.
- …will have no UID owner.
- …will show a UID as the owner, but not user name.
- …will have no user owner.
46. Which of the following options for the useradd command allows root to specify the UID to be associated with the account?
47. Which of the following options for the useradd command allows root to specify supplementary groups the user will be a member of?
48. On a system that does not use UPG, the useradd command will also create a user group. For example, user bob, group bob.. True or False?
49. Which of the following commands set “other” permissions on file to r-x?
- chmod o+rx file
- chmod o-r-w file
- chmod o=r+x file
- chmod o=rx file
50. Which of the following commands sets “other” permissions on file to r-x?
- chmod 774 file
- chmod 776 file
- chmod 775 file
- chmod 777 file
51. Only one set (user, group, other) of permission can be changed at once using the symbolic method.. True or False?
52. Which of the following are methods for setting permissions using the chmod command?. (choose two)
53. The chown command can be used to change the owner and group of a file.. True or False?
54. The Samba application is a:
- Mail Server
- Security Server
- File Server
- Web Server
55. Which of the following are examples of desktop software?. (choose two)
- Web server
- Web browser
- File share
- Music player
56. If you wanted to set up a blog, which software would be most helpful?
57. Which of the following pieces of software deal with file sharing?. (choose three)
58. If you wanted to create and print an invoice, which software could you use?
59. Which of the following is true about graphical mode?. (choose three)
- You have menus and tools to help you find what you are looking for
- You access this mode by logging into a graphical display
- After login, you are provided with a command prompt
- After login, you are provided with a desktop
- You cannot use your mouse
60. Which of the following is provided by a graphical interface that isn’t normally provided to a non graphical interface?. (choose four)
61. A server is likely to be running in graphical mode.. True or False?
62. In graphical mode, you can get to a shell by running which applications?. (choose two)
63. Which of the following are traits of a multiuser operating system?. (choose three)
- An administrative user gets a dedicated CPU
- Users can protect their information from other users
- Resources are shared between users
- Many users can log in simultaneously with a unique account
- Each user can only log in once per day
64. Select all the applications that provide access to the Command Line Interface (CLI)?. (choose two)
- Virtual Terminal
- Terminal window
65. Which environment variable contains a list of directories that is searched for commands to execute?
66. Select the command that can report the location of a command:
67. A pair of single quotes ( ‘ ) will prevent the shell from interpreting any metacharacter.. True or False?
68. The /tmp directory is a temporary directory and will not exist on a system at all times.. True or False?
69. The /var directory has files that change over time.. True or False?
70. The “sticky bit” permission…
- …prevents others from removing files they don’t own from a common directory.
- …changes the group ownership of existing files in a directory.
- …prevents others from overwriting files they don’t own in common directories.
- …sets the group ownership of any new file created in a directory.
71. Which of the following commands will set the “sticky bit” on /shared ?
- chmod 4777 /shared
- chmod 2777 /shared
- chmod 7777 /shared
- chmod 1777 /shared
72. The “setuid” permission…
- …allows a command to be run as the file owner.
- …allows files in a directory to be manipulated as by the directory owner.
- …prevents the owner of a file from being changed.
- …reports the output of a script to the owner.