1. To go to the end of an info page, press:
2. To go to the next match of a search on a man page, press:
3. When interpreting the SYNOPSIS of a command found on a man page, the “|” means:
- The items it separates can be used together
- The items it separates cannot be used together
4. After performing a search, you can use the ____ key to return to a previously found match:
5. To move a page forward one at a time while viewing a man page, press the following:
6. The ls command without options or arguments…
- …lists the contents of the current directory.
- …prompts for a directory to list.
- …lists the contents of a user’s home directory.
- …generates an error as this command requires arguments.
7. Which option can be used with the rm command to prompt before deleting?
8. The rm command can delete multiple files at once.. True or False?
9. Which of the following commands can be used to rename a file?
10. The touch command can be used to:. (choose two)
- Update the time stamp of existing files
- Create new files
- Change a file’s name
- Change ownership of a file
11. You try to compress a file that is already compressed. Which of the following statements is true?
- The file will not be compressed any further than it already was
- The file changed while you were compressing it
- The file will actually be uncompressed
- The compression algorithm needs to be set to the “currently compressed” mode for it to be compressed further
- The file will be deleted
12. Which of the following commands can be used to compress a file?. (choose three)
13. The three main modes of tar are:. (choose three)
14. In the command tar –czf foo.tar.gz bar, what is the purpose of the f flag?
- Tells tar to copy only files, and not directories
- Tells tar to read from the file that follows the flag
- Tells tar to print the name of each file as it is processed
- Specifies extra compression is to be used
- Tells tar to write to the file that follows the flag
15. Which two commands do the same thing?. (choose two)
- tar –xzf foo.tar.gz
- tar –x foo | gzip
- tar –c foo | gzip > foo.tar.gz
- tar –tzf foo.tar.gz
- tar –czf foo.tar.gz foo
16. Which option for the wc command will print the total number of words in a file?
17. Which command can be used to print line numbers?
18. The command echo “text” > file.txt will create file.txt if it does not already exist.. True or False?
19. The command echo “text” > file.txt will not overwrite file.txt if it already exists.. True or False?
20. The command echo “text” >> file.txt will not overwrite file.txt if it already exists.. True or False?
21. Software is backward compatible if:
- It still supports old file formats or applications
- If the next version still works the same way
- People still use old versions
- It works across Linux/Mac/Windows
- It can be upgraded without downtime
22. Apple’s OS X is:. (choose three)
- Derived from Linux
- Only compatible with Apple hardware
- Able to natively run Windows binaries
- Derived from FreeBSD
- Certified as UNIX compatible
- Primarily used to manage network services
23. Microsoft Windows:. (choose three)
- Has a short maintenance cycle
- Comes in desktop and server variants
- Has built in virtualization
- Has a new desktop version every year.
- Has a Linux compatibility mode
- Has powerful scripting capabilities
24. Other commercial Unixes:. (choose two)
- Are almost obsolete
- Are tied to their vendor’s hardware
- Use completely different commands than Linux
- Are UNIX certified
- Do not run the GNU tools
25. When choosing a distribution of Linux, you should consider:. (choose five)
- Which management tools are provided by the distribution
- Which distributions are supported by the software you need to run
- Popularity on social media.
- The maintenance cycle of the distribution
- If you need support on the distribution itself
- Whether or not the distribution is under active development
26. The difference between the GPL and LGPL licenses are:
- LGPL allows you to distribute the software in binary-only form
- LGPL is shorter than GPL
- LGPL allows linking to non GPLed software
- LGPL applies to web services
- LGPL was made by the OSI while GPL was made by the FSF
27. Permissive free software licenses:. (choose three)
- Can allow software to be used inside closed source software
- Are not approved by the OSI
- Are not approved by the FSF
- Include the GPLv2 and BSD
- Don’t have a copyleft provision
28. The Creative Commons version of Public Domain licensing is:
- No Rights Reserved
29. Your company makes a hardware firewall that runs a custom Linux kernel. What are your obligations under GPLv2?
- There are no requirements
- You must make the source to your custom web interface available
- You must make your hardware designs available
- You must make the source to your kernel available
- You must ensure your custom kernel runs on a regular Intel machine
30. Participating in open source projects can improve your technical skills, even if it is not your day job.. True or False?
31. What are tradeoffs of increasing the level of privacy you have in your web browser?. (choose two)
- You may get viruses
- Sites may not work properly
- Websites may load slower
- Images won’t load properly
- You may have to explicitly permit some cookies to be saved
32. Which of the following is a tool that helps you anonymize your Internet browsing?
- Web proxy
- The onion router
33. Social network “like” buttons can track your activity across the Internet.. True or False?
34. Which of the following are properties of a strong password?. (choose three)
- A mix of upper and lower case
- Long so that it can be reused on multiple sites
- Includes symbols
- At least 10 characters long
- Based on easy to remember items like birthdays
35. What can be done to prevent remote people from running programs on your computer?. (choose two)
- Don’t use wireless networks – only wired
- Use strong passwords on all user accounts
- Turn on a firewall
- Block third party cookies
- Block all cookies
36. The acronym CLI stands for:
- Computer Link Interpreter
- Command Line Interpreter
- Computer Line Interface
- Command Line Interface
37. Traditional UNIX command options used a single dash, like -a; _______ command options use two dashes like –all.
38. The acronym GNU stands for:
- Gnu’s Not Unix
- Go Next Unit
- Gnu’s Nearly Unix
- Good News Unix
39. What one character treats the character that follows it as if it was surrounded by single quotes?
40. The main purpose of using glob characters is to be able to provide a command a list of filenames.. True or False?